Vapor rub, chest rub, or cold rub, is a mentholated topical petrolatum-based gel intended to assist with minor medical conditions that temporarily impair breathing, including the common cold. It is applied to the chest, often immediately before sleeping. Originally formulated by Vicks as its signature product, VapoRub, cold rubs are now manufactured by other pharmaceuticals under various brand names. The word Vicks, and less commonly, VapoRub are still used as generalized references to this product regardless of manufacturer or brand.
One of the widely used homemade remedies to reduce belly fat and get rid of colds is Vicks VapoRub. It is also used for a smooth and silky skin, and as a topical analgesic which includes eucalyptus, menthol, camphor, and other ingredients in a petroleum base. VapoRub has also been used for relieving coughs, headaches, throat stuffiness, and congested nose. However, the ointment can be used for various conditions.
USES OTHER THAN COUGHS
- As mosquitoes Repellent: Apply some vapor rub and gently massage on your skin and clothes to keep mosquitoes away from you.
- Eases Sinuses Headaches: Rub some of this ointment right under your nose and take a deep breath. Vapor rub contains menthol which relieves headaches and colds.
- Reduces Acne: Applying some vapor rub on your acne several times a day cleanse your skin by drying them while soothing the affected area.
- Scares Insects Away: To get a trick to scare away insects such as flies and mosquitoes, open the Vicks VapoRub bottle and your environment will be free of worrisome insects.
- Gets rid of Bruises: To quickly get rid of your fresh bruises, apply some Vicks mixed with a pinch of salt onto them.
- Relaxes Sore Muscles: Massaging with this ointment will help to relieve your sore muscles. After the massage, cover the s0re limb with a warm and dry towel and lift it until the pain lowers. This should be repeated up to 3 times a day.
- Moisturizes: Use this ointment to moisturize your skin. Rubbing vaporub on your feet and wearing a pair of socks will help moisturize dry skin and is also a great way to relax. That menthol is soothing, after all.
- Tennis Elbow: The camphor and menthol contained in Vicks will help the pain from tennis elbow disappear. Massage the area until the pain stops.
- Treats cracked heels: Apply some of this ointment on your heels and feet before going to bed, and put on your socks. The next morning, rinse your feet with warm water. Use a pumice stone to exfoliate the softened skin. Do this every night before bedtime to keep your feet smooth and healthy.
- Toenail or Fingernail Fungus: Vaporub will rid toenails of fungus, and once they grow out they’ll be perfectly healthy again. Apply some of the ointment on your infected toenail or fingernail and put on your socks. Do this twice a day, and make sure you trim your nails until you r toenail/fingernail completely recovers.
- Relieves Cough and Congestion Symptoms: Just apply some Vicks VapoRub on your chest and throat for a cough and congestion relief.
- Fast Healing of Splinters and Cuts: Apply some Vicks on your cut or splinter to hasten the healing process and prevent possible infection.
- Reek-free Racehorses: To keep racehorses focused on the race and not on the fascinating reek of mares, professional racers rub some of this ointment under the horses’ nostrils.
- Reduces Stretch Marks: Two-week regular treatment with Vicks VapoRub will reduce the visibility of your stretch marks.
- Prevent Your Pet from Peeing inside Your Home: Just leave an open Vicks bottle in the areas of your home where you want to prevent your pet from peeing.
- Treats Eczema: Reduce the inflammation and itchiness of eczema by applying some Vicks VapoRub on the affected area.
- Relieves Awful Ear Ache: Apply some Vicks in your aching ear using a cotton ball for an instant pain relief. Another option is to apply some of the ointment on one end of a warmed garlic clove (10 seconds in a microwave) and to place the clove in the affected ear.
- Heats Athlete’s Feet: Rub Vicks two times a day to heal your athlete’s feet
- Soothe Minor Burns: If you get a small burn while cooking in the kitchen, running it under cold water and then putting vapo rub on it will get it feeling better in no time. Have a jar by the stove handy for quick burn relief.
- Removes Warts: Apply some of this ointment on your warts, and cover the place with gauze and sock. Do this twice a day for 2 weeks, until the wart is completely gone.
- Fat Burning Cream: Vicks can help you reduce your fat and cellulite, especially in your stomach and legs area when combined with camphor, baking soda, and a bit alcohol. Apply the obtained cream in the desired area and cover with a black plastic strip. Do this at home, work, or before your exercises.
- Humidify Your Sleep: Vicks VapoRub can be used in special types of humidifiers and vaporizers. Before using, ensure your humidifier has an aromatherapy compartment. The humidifier will circulate Vicks throughout the air and keep you breathing easy all night long.
Vicks contains a solid white glass with a mint flavor called levo-menthol which shouldn’t be used alone since it can cause rash. However, this ointment is safe thanks to the eucalyptus oil in its content. Camphor is also dangerous if used directly. Therefore, use it only in commercial product packaging.
The Personal Care Vaporizing Chest Rub also is a brand of the medication sold at Dollar Tree stores for one dollar. For one dollar, a person can purchase a four ounce jar of this medicated rub that’s designed to provide relief from nasal congestion and make a person cough less when sick. The medicine is very similar to the Vicks VapoRub medication.
The Vaporizing Chest Rub contains some active ingredients such as Eucalyptus, camphor and menthol. These active ingredients help to make it easier to breathe with a stuffed up nose and the vapors help to keep the nasal passageways clear for hours on end. The relief occurs in minutes and lasts for hours. This medication also works to help relieve chest congestion by applying a thin layer along the upper chest region and the stuff even works to help ease minor muscle pains and aches when applied to the source of the discomfort. It’s really an effective and soothing medication.
For those that don’t want to take a pill of some sort, like Mucinex DM Expectorant Maximum Strength and Nasal Decongestant Tablets, or a cough medication like Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief, which doesn’t work well unlike the Mucinex DM medication by the way, then this medication may be ideal for you as it’s a topical medication. Although, the medication may not work as well as the Mucinex DM Expectorant Maximum Strength and Nasal Decongestant, but the somewhat sizeable Mucinex DM tables can be hard to swallow, especially when one also has a sore throat. This medication goes on easily and provides very fast relief, more so than the Mucinex DM tablets, although the tablets provide longer relief from coughing and congestion
Also, this topical medication has other applications for when one’s not even sick. If a part of your body is feeling achy, sore or strained, apply some of this topical medication, and the relief will come and it will be pretty soothing, and it will last for several hours. It’s effective and it’s cheap. It opens up your nasal passageways and reduce respiratory inflammation, thus making being sick a less miserable and, well, sickening experience. In addition, it eases muscle aches and soreness, so it has more than one use.
BENEFICIAL INGREDIENTS OF VAPOR RUB
The ingredients contained in vapor rub include:
- Camphor (squeezed)
- Vick VapoRub
- Sodium Bicarbonate
You can simply prepare your home made vapor rub using the above ingredients.
Make a paste from the itemized ingredients, and store it in a glass or plastic container. Apply the paste in a circular movement before going to bed, cover it with a plastic wrap and allow it to stay for half an hour or overnight.
Another type of homemade vapor rub is given below.
- 5 TB coconut oil
- TB cocoa butter
- 1½ TB beeswax pellets
- 20 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops rosemary essential oil
- 5 drops tea tree essential oil
1. In a saucepan, over low heat, add the coconut oil and cocoa butter. Dissolve.
2. Once melted, add the beeswax and dissolve.
3. Remove the pan from the heat. Allow the mixture to sit in the saucepan for 5 minutes. This will allow the mixture to cool so the oils aren’t impaired.
4. After 5 minutes, add the eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender, rosemary, and tea tree oils to the coconut oil mixture. Combine with a spoon.